This Page

has been moved to new address

Friendly Friday-Shape Moth

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
301 moved permanently

Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.makingtheworldcuter.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Making the World Cuter: Friendly Friday-Shape Moth

A blog where one woman is on a mission to make the world cuter, one kid, cupcake or crafty thing at a time.

1.21.2011

Friendly Friday-Shape Moth

Happy Friendly Friday everyone! I have a new friend, Kirie from Shape Moth here to show us how she made this fascinating little bird. This girl has a lot of talent and a lot of patience! I'll let her tell you about herself and this little birdie....

Hi, I would like to present you one of my latest posts about making a fabric bird.
I'm quite new in the blogging world but I try to create unique things from fabric and felt:
toys, mini quilts, mug rugs, etc.
Please visit me over at Shape Moth!

I think everything started when I signed myself for the Birdie Swap (disclaimer :) : this bird isn't for the swap; it's to settle down my creative itch). I started to search in the net for the inspirations, pictures of sewn birds, softies, felt birds, ornaments and whatever you can find when you type 'bird ornament' or 'sewn bird' or 'bird pattern' in google. There were some free pdf patterns available, but somehow it wasn't for me. I had to do something else. So I started. I started with thinking what I want to achieve. How it should look like.


It was hard to imagine for me where to start. I decided to make a sculpture first. To plan the pattern, shape of my bird and where to piece the fabric. The one on the photo is already reshaped, cause the first attempt was not so good. You see many lines... finally I did something completely different than I had drawn:






Here is already 3rd try to make the bird. This one looks like chicken, but 100% better than the first 2 ones ;) I started with felt, couse it's better for hand sewing and you don't have to plan the seam allowance:





another try... still some thing were to correct. The big minus of starting with felt is that it's completely different from cotton. After I had the pattern based on felt ready, it worked out that I have to change it completely for the cotton.






I don't have any photos of the stages of creation the cotton bird, I was just throwing away the ugly birdies.


But this is the 'almost' final version. It took me few days to create this bird but I'm absolutely proud and happy of the result. It has wired legs, fabric beak and embroidered eyes.

Now... to check if I did well... a riddle: which bird is it?



























EDIT: Tuome was the first to answer :) It's an eurasian jay.


That means that I didn't do such a bad job ;)






photo from: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Eurasian_Jay






Thanks Kirie! :)


Current Sponsors:
Tiny Prints Stylish, Modern & Unique Stationary
Glasses USA Smartest Way to buy Prescription Glasses
Stamp Crazy Lady Stampin' Up & Handmade Gifts
Pumpernickel Buttons Photography Southern Oregon Photographer
Your Ad Here! Click for Details

The ideas, and opinions expressed on Friendly Friday do not necessarily reflect the owner of this blog. Friendly Friday is a day where new blog friends are invited to share a post of something they think makes the world a cuter place. If you are interested in participating in Friendly Friday, please send a post in html format to tiff@makingtheworldcuter.com, with the subject Friendly Friday. Thanks! And keep it cute! :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mamarazzi said...

wow...that is awesome. so creative!

Fri Jan 21, 04:17:00 AM

 
Blogger lisbonlioness said...

Whow... how adorable, well done, girl!

Sun Jan 23, 03:12:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

Thanks for making the world so stinkin cute!

<< Home